Thursday, August 04, 2005

A dream..

I think I should remind you that it was all a dream and that things out of the ordinary often happen in dreams.. and another thing- most of what happened I only 'knew' or 'realised' when I was partly through the dream.

It all started with me lying down on my queen sized bed, nice and comfortable.. I think it was in the late evening and I was chatting with a girlfriend, when we suddenly realised that there was someone else there.. listening in.. we both looked up and saw a ghostly image of a girl around our age (would have loved to describe her in detail but all I seemed to remember was that she was pretty.. not like the typical Japanese long haired, white skin, big eyed ghosts with the menacing 'I am bad and scary' look) sitting on top of my row of apple-green cupboards.

Surprisingly, we were calm and even greeted her casually as if she was a friend of ours. Then I realised -actually it was more as if I had known all along- that my elder brother had passed away (only in the dream, touch wood). I was mourning and questioning why God had taken him instead of me.. he was intelligent and good-looking and polite and helped my parents without throwing up a fuss (as opposed to a 'does well in school only if she studies like mad, quite okay looking with a blunt nose, rude and only helps if guilty' girl like me..) I was distressed and felt it more than unfair that he wasn't spared.

I continued my crying and cursing monologue when the ghost interupted saying that I could save him, that there was still a chance.

Next thing I knew was I was walking alongside my elder brother, he seemed so real, alive I remember thinking, we were walking down a deserted road near my house and it was dark. We stopped under a lamp post and started talking. He was telling me how he would give anything to be given a second chance to live again.. anything, saying how he missed all of us, wishing that he was alive. He wanted to be successful,to be one of most accomplished around, saying that he could, he knew that he could, but he can't. I said I want to help, but how.. I apologised..

I felt so guilty, as if his death was my fault, knowing very well that it wasn't, yet feeling that I should have taken his place.

I hugged him.

I hugged him and knew what I could do to help him. It was only now I 'remembered' what the ghost girl had said, that all I needed to say was ' I wish I was in your place instead of mine' and then PRESTO- he would wake up alive and me dead. I thought of all my friends, I thought of my family, of a certain someone and was about to say it when ..

He whispered under his breath "If you really want to help me, say 'I wish I was in your place instead of mine'" I looked up at him. He wanted life so desperately that he was willing to 'cheat' his own sister out of hers.. (I use the word cheat as he doesn't know that I know that if I said the words I was giving him my life)

Even after he said those selfish (I realise now, but then all I seemed to think was how desperately he needed to live) words, I realised I loved him.

These few minutes seemed to last forever, I felt that I had thought it over so many times, I was so sure, almost too sure that what I were to do was right. Not that I hated my life, it was okay.. I actually kinda liked it. But what i had to do was crystal clear.

Knowing fully well what I said and its impact, as if I saw things so clearly at the time, I said it. There. The light from the lamp post started flickering.. Then I felt weak and tired, drowsy and in a weird way, peaceful.

Everything went black.


p.s. I have yet to figure out the 'meaning' of this dream..after all it seems so symbolic.. if u have the faintest idea, please feel free to 'enlighten' me..

7 Comments:

Blogger Vikneshan did a lil jig and sang...

hey, nice dream or should i say eccentric...why dont you write more about the "important" dreams that you have? did you know charles dickens's main inspirations were from his dreams...

i m not really that well versed about dreams, since i havent managed to recall any for a really long time.Wanna have some nice ones but...thats a different story. I have read stuff about dreams though; about how they affect women more than men.

Dreams;

No one really knows what these dreams function as but many have their own perception about what it could be... some think its gives us a "sneak preview" of the future, some say it reveals our inner most desires, feelings or emoticon and etc. Therefore, we can induce that the interpretations would be different from one to the other. What i m trying to say is... its just what i think...

If it's a reflection of ur emotions,

I don't really understand ur dreams unless i could actually read your mind and i wonder how messy that could be. So i think maybe some of this "interpretations" may make some sense to you...

Your inability to notice the changes fast maybe fear that things are changing to fast and you don't want it too happen.

your brother dying maybe just the reflection about how much you fear to live without him? i also think you feel inferior to your brother...
your life for his? And you think that he's selfish or a cheat? but i don't know for what? maybe because he's leaving or some other reason...

the lamp post: i think is suppose to redirect your mind towards a particular direction... was the light dim or bright or blinding? if it was dim, i m guessing u didnt get some part of dialogue you had with him. maybe it was blur?

the gal in your dreams probably is someone u feel comfortable with... i m guessing ur mind created her so that u wouldnt feel alone in the dream.

the ghost, was it you? the party with the answers?

the conclusion is i don't really exactly know what this dream symbolizes but i sure would like to find out.

You are the only person who stands the best chance of ever deciphering your dream... anyways, fun giving my notion on it...

Vikneshan

PS: i don't really know whether comments need post scripts but i wanna say something, " i didn't know you are so insecure" ? Am i right

5:37 pm  
Blogger Vikneshan did a lil jig and sang...

hoi, sorry about the grammartical errors i made; typing fast since someone said i shouldnt waste time doing stuff like this... and i know you are real fussy about proper use of grammar

5:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous did a lil jig and sang...

Dreams.....mystery of life..... Nobody can actually tell wat it actually signifies but i guess it's a reflection of ur emotions(like wat viky said). Maybe u missed ur bro so much or ur worried bout him since he's leaving or things like tat could have caused this dream. It's actually normal to have such dreams. The "gurl" in ur dreams was probably a creation of ur mind. She probably is someone u wanted to have as a friend or maybe even a reflection of urself. Dreams are natural so u don't need to worry much bout it. Just have faith in GOD and pray that everything will be alright. :)

3:21 pm  
Blogger keishaowen did a lil jig and sang...

did I mention how much i love u guys.. I mean how many ppl wud bother with my silly dreams.. touched, i truly am..

10:23 am  
Blogger keishaowen did a lil jig and sang...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous did a lil jig and sang...

Damn.. whenever I think of this dream I feel like crying. Thanks, Karthini for being the best sister I could ever ask for. Love, Ben.

12:17 pm  
Blogger keishaowen did a lil jig and sang...

Best sister?!
*blush*

10:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home